HEALTH TIP 2
What is Warfarin Sodium?
This medicine is used to:
- Treat and prevent the formation of blood clots in your veins lungs.
- Treat or prevent clots in patients who have an irregular heart beat or had a heart valve replacement.
- Reduce the risk of death after a heart attack.
- Reduce the risk of stroke.
How Do I Use Warfarin Sodium?
- Take this medicine by mouth.
- Use this medicine about the same time every day
- If you use this medicine only once each day and you forget a dose, use the dose as soon as you remember and then use the next day’s dose at the regular time.
Tell your doctor about any side effects that happen to you
Possible Side Effects:
- Feeling sick to your stomach
- Cramps in your stomach
- Loose bowel movements
Rare/Severe Side Effects:
- Purple toes
- Sores on your skin
- Increased bleeding
- Trouble swallowing
- Trouble breathing
- Feeling lightheaded or fainting
- Dizziness when standing up
- Dizziness when sitting up
- Sustained painful erection
- Large or numerous bruises
- Do take this medicine exactly as your doctor tells you to.
- Do talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns about this medicine.
- Do tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have had an allergic reaction to this medicine or any other medicine.
- Do tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are pregnant, thinking about becoming pregnant, or breast-feeding.
- Do be aware that you may need to have laboratory tests done while taking this medicine.
- Do keep this medicine in a cool, dry place away from sunlight.
- Don’t drink alcohol before or after taking this medicine.
- Don’t use this medicine if you are pregnant, thinking about becoming pregnant, or breast-feeding.
- Don’t use more than one dose at a time.
- Don’t increase the amount of the dose unless directed by your doctor.
- Don’t start taking any new medicine (including birth control pills) without first telling your doctor or pharmacist.
- Don’t suddenly change the type of food you eat.
- Don’t play sports or perform other activities that can cause injury or bleeding.
- Don’t keep this medicine in the bathroom because of the heat and moisture.
- Unless otherwise specified by your physician, this medication should be taken at bedtime.
- Periodic blood test will be done by your physician to keep the clotting times in a therapeutic range.